Well after 9 months of recipes, I thought I better give you guys a great student dessert. This one is so simple, and the cost per portion is so minimal it won’t break the budget. Such a great way to use up those old bits of bread before they get thrown out. Trust me, your flatmates will love it!
Ingredients: Serves 6
- 12 pieces of stale bread
- 1 punet of blueberries
- 1 tin of peach slices
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 tbsp of caster sugar
- 2 tbsp of custard powder
- 150g of butter
- 1 block of chocolate
- 1 tbsp of icing sugar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
Cook Time: 30 mins
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees on fan bake
- Take the 12 pieces of bread and butter heavily on one side. Then put the 2 cups of milk in a saucepan and heat until luke-warm. Add in 2 tablespoons of sugar and custard powder. Whisk until combined then remove from heat.
- In a large oven tray arrange your first 6 pieces of buttered bread as a bottom layer. Break up the block of chocolate and spread evenly across the bread. Repeat this with the peach slices and half the blueberries. Pour over half the custard liquid then top with the second layer of bread, the remaining blueberries as well as the rest of the custard. Sprinkle the top with the last of the caster sugar and cinnamon. Leave for 15 mins to let the bread soak up all the goodness.
- Place into the oven for 30 mins or until the top is nice and golden.
- Dust the pudding with icing sugar and serve with some fresh cream or a New Zealand favourite, Tip Top ice cream!